XpatMatt.com is one of the most-read and trusted adventure travel blogs on the web and has been seen on outlets such as as Business Insider, The Huffington Post, AFAR, About.com, House Hunters International, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Canada.com, USA Today, The Adventure Traveler’s Handbook, and appears on numerous top travel blog lists.
I, Matt Gibson (aka Xpat Matt), am a trained journalist and a widely published professional writer and photographer. I’m also the president of the Professional Travel Bloggers Association, have starred in several travel-focussed television and video productions, and speak about travel, blogging, and online marketing at travel industry and digital publishing events such as Digital Innovation Asia, Arabian Travel Market, and ITB Asia.
Tens of thousands travel and adventure enthusiasts and travel bloggers visit XpatMatt.com each month for the award-winning adventure travel stories, how-to articles, destination guides, and gear reviews. 70% of XpatMatt.com’s audience is over the age of 25, nearly 60% earns more than $50,000 per year, and over 60% lives in North America.
- I’m an award-winning blogger and a professional adventure travel writer and photographer with more than a decade of experience.
- I have written columns for Travel + Escape, and Transitions Abroad, have been published in outlets such as AFAR, Action Asia, and Kootenay Mountain Culture, and occasionally write a column for the Huffington Post.
- I formerly managed both the About.com Snowboarding Guide and the FlightNetwork.com blog.
- I’m a member of the North American Travel Journalists Association (NATJA) and am an AFAR Travel Expert.
- I’m a founding member and the Inbound President of the Professional Travel Bloggers Association.
- I regularly speak at events and conferences such as Digital Innovation Asia, ITB Asia, and Arabian Travel Market, about travel, blogging, social media, and how brands can effectively work with bloggers.
- I’m the CEO of UpThink, an online marketing firm that specializes in content marketing training, strategy, and blogger outreach for travel brands and destination marketing organizations.
XpatMatt.com is window through which readers get an inside look at my life as an adventure travel writer and photographer through carefully crafted photoessays, insightful travel narratives, and exciting videos (you can see the latest in the sidebar on this page). I also offer tips on where to find the best gear for less and interviews with travelers and adventurers on unique journeys.
XpatMatt.com is different from other travel blogs for a few reasons:
- I rarely feature sponsored content, so my opinions are unfiltered and honest.
- I focus almost completely on human-powered, eco-friendly, outdoors adventures and challenges
- I seldom publish new content because nearly every post I write is a carefully crafted long-form post –whether a photoessay, narrative, or editorial. But, because of that, nearly every post I publish is very successful, usually receiving thousands of social shares. You can see recent examples here and here.
- I maintain a section of resources for travel bloggers and industry. I can provide website analytics with that section excluded upon request.
I also maintain a tips section and newsletter specifically for travel bloggers and have the ability to reach hundreds of travel bloggers through my newsletter (and thousands through other forums and associations that I belong to).
So, whether you’re trying to reach consumers of travel and adventure products, or reach out to the travel blogging community, you’ve come to the right place.
All my blog traffic, social followings, audience demographics, and their interests can all be found below. The traffic information is pulled in real-time from Google Analytics and the demographic data is from Quantcast.
Audience By Country
Other Websites My Readers Like
For further information about my traffic, audience demographics, and their interests, please visit my profile on Quantcast, which is connected to my Google Analytics account, so all information is as accurate as possible.
Blog Newsletter Subscribers
A Few Organizations I’ve Worked With
Awards, Press, Times I’ve Appeared On Screens and Stages
- Gold Medal – Photography: Portrait, People – Online Publication – North American Travel Journalists Association (Photo: Bhutanese Woman)
- Finalist: Best Independent Travel Blog – North American Travel Journalists Association
- Finalist: Special Focus Travel Articles – Internet: Local Lifestyle for Not Trump Country
- Finalist: Special Focus Travel Articles – Internet: Historical Travel for The Last Ifugao Weaver
North American Travel Journalists Association
- Finalist: Most Captivating Digital Storytelling – Digital Innovation Asia
- 100 Best Outdoors Blog In The World (#34) – Feedspot
- Top 100 Travel Photographers in the World – ChiliSauce
- Top 25 Adventure Travel Blogs – Flipkey
- Top 25 Adventure Travel Photographers On Instagram – Journalist On The Run
- 17 Travel Bloggers to Follow in 2017 – Discovery Corps
- 12 Instagrammers Crushing It In The Canadian Rockies – Matador Network
- Best Travel Blogs In Canada – Easy Voyage
- Starred – HGTV’s House Hunters International
- Starred – 48-hours In Vancouver
- Starred – Keen Uneek Documentary Advertorial
- Profiled – Buzzfeed
- Profiled – Business Insider
- Featured – Singapore Straits Times
- Featured – The Saudi Gazette
- Interviewed – CBC Radio Canada
- Interviewed – Rolf Potts’s Vagablogging
- Interviewed – Travel Writing 2.0
- Interviewed – The Adventure Traveler’s Handbook
- Arabian Travel Market – Speaker and Panelist (2015, 2016, 2017)
- ITB Berlin – Speaker (2017)
- ITB Asia – Speaker and Panelist (2015, 2016, 2017)
- ITB China – Keynote Speaker (2017)
- PATA Adventure Travel and Responsible Tourism Conference – Speaker and Moderator (2016, 2017)
- PATA Travel Mart – Speaker and Moderator (2016)
- Himalayan Travel Mart – Keynote Speaker (2017)
- The Beach-Leisure and M.I.C.E Travel Mart – Speaker (2016)
- Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International – Panelist (2016)
- Digital Innovation Asia – Panelist (2013)